The Church of Saint Mary in the Castle was a cathedral until 1435, having withstood many restorations until its eventual abandonment.
Tarchna, Corneto, Tarquinia
It was built between 1121-1208 in the Romanesque style and it appears to have substituted Santa Maria ad rupes (on top of the cliff) which was a pre-existing palatine chapel. The church includes distinct Lombard and Arabic influences and is particularly noted for the Cosmatesque decorations of the polygonal baptismal font, the tabernacle and the ambo or pulpit. The rectangular facade features three arched portals, a belfry and three windows, the central one being double-lancet window while the side windows are single-lancet windows The central portal is adorned with Cosmateque mosaic work while the external left-hand wall features hanging arches supported by nenfro pilasters and corbels as well as ten windows. High upon the central wall lies a Lombard rose window which corresponds to the oculus or small oval-shaped window on the opposite wall. The three apses rest solidly upon the cliff (the central apse is polygonal while the side ones are irregularly circular) and the cathedral walls are supported by diagonal buttresses. Several epigraphs and inscriptions on the church wall document its history relating facts of financing, clergy, contributing craftsmen and artists as well as city politics between the 12th and 13th century.