Tarchna, Corneto, Tarquinia

The Tarquinia territory, one of the vastest in Italy, stretches from the shadowy woods of Viterbo all the way to the sunny beaches of the Tyrrhenian coast.
Throughout the centuries this land provided food and shelter to numerous peoples.
The present-day Tarquinia, with its pulsing vitality and in full expansion, is the living aspect of a constellation of other cities that died silently and whose traces can still be seen. In summer you can sunbathe on the local beaches and swim in the calm waters of the Tyrrhenian sea, but in any season you can enjoy the coast, the countryside, the woods. The city has a lot to offer at any time of the year.

keep reading...

Square Fountain

This monumental fountain, located in Piazza Matteotti Square right in front of the Town Hall, consists of a large circular marble basin bordered by four evenly spaced marble blocks, on either side of which are two mascarons, carved grotesque masks, each depicting a bearded man with an open mouth spouting water. In the centre there are five elements in “peperino” which together form a sort of rock, upon which four stone corbels are placed. In the spaces between the corbels there are four coats-of-arms. The side facing the main street (Vittorio Emanuele) features the seal of Pope Innocent XIII, while the northern side towards the Town Hall shows the seal of Cardinal R. Imperiali. On the southern side rests the coat-of-arms of Corneto, whereas the eastern side features an epigraph describing how Cardinal Imperiali, Prefect of the Good Government, brought to fruition the new aqueduct in the year 1724. The mascarons are fixed to the lower volutes of the pedestal where subtle streams of water flow from the open mouths into four shells below. Above the brackets lies the base of the central column which is surmounted by a cross upon which four eagles are perched facing each other in pairs. According to tradition the fountain was removed from Palestrina in 1435 by Cardinal G. Vitelleschi after having destroyed the city, while in truth it was created in the 18th century, more precisely between 1723 and 1725, based on a design by the architect F. Barigioni who oversaw the construction of the fountain assigned to the sculptor F. Pincellotti. In 1724 the new aqueduct was completed in order to compensate for the town’s inadequate water supply system and was called the “arcatelle” (little arches) which can still be seen along the road from Tarquinia to Monteromano. This aqueduct was the Piazza Fountain’s direct source of water until 1870, after which the 17th-century aqueduct was abandoned in favour of newer modern pipelines. Throughout a good many years and up until recently, the Piazza Fountain, in addition to being decorative and monumental, has consistently played a pivotal role in the life of the town’s citizens, ensuring they had a steady supply of water.

Culture, History and Heritage

THE ETRUSCANS

THE ETRUSCANS

TARCHNA, CORNETO, TARQUINIA

TARCHNA, CORNETO, TARQUINIA

MAREMMA BETWEEN SEA AND NATURE

MAREMMA BETWEEN SEA AND NATURE

TARQUINIA, A LITERARY PLACE

TARQUINIA, A LITERARY PLACE

Plan your trip

TOURIST INFORMATION

Sleeping, Eating and What to Do
SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER
remains up-to-date with our news

Click here to read it.

The contact data collected will be used by the Data Controller for the sole purpose of sending the requested Newsletter. Further purposes are not provided for or admitted. The data will be kept up to the request of cancellation by the interested party, possibility offered at each sending of the newsletter, and in any case for a period of time not exceeding 24 months from the confirmation of intention to receive the communication. For any other detail, please refer to the extended information sheet in the privacy section.
close-link