In the area known as the “Doganaccia” there is an archaeological itinerary called “The Way of Princes”.
The Way of Princes
Upon the southern slopes of the hills of Monterozzi, along an ancient road which once led to the Etruscan city, two burial mounds of the Doganaccia can be found. These are referred to as the King’s Tumulus (burial mound) and the Queen’s Tumulus. These mounds date back to the Orientalizing and Archaic Periods (7th-6th centuries B.C.) and are equipped with an impressive base partly dug out of rock and faced with squared blocks of stone, surmounted by a mound of earth. These tombs were excavated in 1928 by Cultrera and further work is being done on them so that they can be easily accessed and viewed by the public.