The Mignone Flour Mill
The Mignone Flour Mill, situated on the Cencelle estate, was used by the inhabitants of Civitavecchia, Tolfa, Allumiere, and Monteromano from the second half of the 16th century by order of Cardinal G. A. Sforza (1518-64). Archival documentation attests to a number of disputes between the proprietors of the Marta and the Mignone mills, constantly rivalling to achieve the highest wheat flour production. The mills were closed in the early 20th century, after the Town Council tried to save them from decay in 1922-3. What remains of the abandoned mill near the bridge on the Mignone River can still be seen, as well as the havoc wreaked by continuous river flooding, including water-powered turbines, millstones, a milling workroom, and a bookkeeping office. Ownership of the mill changed hands various times throughout its history and in 1783 it became the property of N. Soderini. The final owner was S. di Pietri, a descendant of an ancient family of millers who had long been in business on the Mignone River.