Present-day Tarquinia was originally called Corneto up until 1872 when it changed its name to Corneto-Tarquinia after its annexation to the Kingdom of Italy, and then it changed to Tarquinia in 1922. A stroll in the historic town centre surrounded by an impressive circle of walls will allow you to admire churches, palaces, towers and convents in Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque architectural styles, testifying to the grandeur and significance of the town of Corneto, wavering between temporal power and religious power from the 12th century to the Modern Age.
email@example.com May 2018
Discovering the Etruscans. Tarquinia is among the most important cities of the Etruscan dodecapolis. Artefacts dating from the 9th century B.C. to ancient Roman times are on display at the acropolis, known as “Pian di Civita”, the Necropolis and the National Archaeological Museum.
The history of the town is closely linked with the Catholic religion and tradition. In 1435 Pope Eugene IV raised Corneto to the rank of civitas and bishopric to reward Cardinal Vitelleschi for reestablishing papal rule in the Patrimonium Sancti Petri (the States of the Church). Many churches and convents are scattered throughout the old town.